The main difference between dedicated vs. shared proxies is that dedicated proxies are given exclusively to one user, whereas multiple users at the same time use shared proxies.
When it comes to hiding your identity online, using proxies is a great way to stay anonymous and keep your real IP address hidden.
However, once you start looking into proxy solutions, you’ll probably end up trying to choose between dedicated vs. shared proxies (also known as shared proxies vs. private proxies).
In this article, you’ll get an answer to the question, why dedicated proxies are usually better than shared ones.
But before we go into this, let’s take a minute to look a bit closer at the definitions of these two types of proxies.
What is the main difference between dedicated vs. shared proxies?
The most significant difference between dedicated (private) vs. shared proxies is that dedicated proxies are given exclusively to one user, whereas multiple users at the same time use shared proxies.
What is a shared proxy?
A shared proxy is a proxy that is used by multiple users at the same time.
What is a dedicated proxy?
A dedicated proxy is a proxy that is not shared with anyone else and assigned only to one user. Dedicated proxies can also be called private proxies.
If you want to learn more about each type of proxy, check out these articles:
Why dedicated proxies are better than shared proxies
There are three main reasons why dedicated proxies are better than shared ones.
1. Dedicated proxies are extremely fast
- When it comes to proxies, most users are looking for speed.
- Dedicated proxies are usually very fast because you don’t have to share the performance with anyone else and can have all the bandwidth to yourself.
2. You have full control over how and when proxies are used
- Since dedicated proxies are given only to you, nobody else has access to them, so you have full control over how and when your proxies are being used.
- This helps to avoid cases when an entire IP address is blocked because one of the users sharing the same proxy is doing something illegal.
3. Dedicated proxies are highly secure and reliable
- Dedicated proxies are also called private because they are actually private and secure.
- By buying dedicated proxies from a reliable proxy provider, you can be sure that your personal information won’t be compromised.
- Also, since dedicated proxies are assigned only to one user, there’s almost no chance of bandwidth overload.
Before you purchase dedicated proxies
When it comes to buying dedicated proxies, there are a couple of downsides that you should be aware of.
1. Dedicated proxies are usually a bit more expensive
- When it comes to the price tag of dedicated vs. shared proxies, dedicated proxies are not as cheap as shared ones. Why is that? Well, since proxy providers are selling one IP address to just one user, that user has to cover the full cost of maintaining the dedicated proxies’ servers.
- However, this type of proxy comes with many other great benefits which we discussed previously, so most people choose reliability over low prices.
2. Not all providers can be trusted
- If you want to enjoy all the benefits of dedicated proxies fully, choosing the right proxy provider is a task that shouldn’t be taken lightly.
- You might find providers that offer free dedicated proxies; however, in essence, dedicated proxies can’t be free. Don’t trust this false advertising and make sure that you’re buying only from legitimate businesses.
Also, don’t forget that exclusivity is something that defines the quality and, usually, the price of proxies.
Although dedicated proxies can seem like an obvious choice in most cases, we want to stress that it all depends on your needs. Sometimes you’ll be just fine with shared proxies.
If you’re not sure if dedicated proxies are the right choice for you or your business, drop us a line, and we’ll help you decide.
If you’re interested in learning more about proxies or web scraping, join our community by subscribing to our newsletter.